News

Golf club’s 9/11 ad sparks death threats

Golf club’s 9/11 ad sparks death threats

The owner of a golf course says the club will remain open on Sept. 11, despite backlash after its ad. Photo: Associated Press/AP/Wisconsin State Journal

MADISON, Wis. (AP) — The owner of a Wisconsin golf course who advertised nine holes of golf for $9.11 to mark the anniversary of the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks apologized Tuesday, but said he would keep the club open despite a backlash that included death threats.

Tumbledown Trails Golf Course advertised the special in the Wisconsin State Journal newspaper on Monday, saying it was intended to commemorate the 12th anniversary of the attacks that killed nearly 3,000 people.

The discount, which also included 18 holes of golf for $19.11, was good for the anniversary on Wednesday only.

The club’s owner told the Associated Press that the promotion first began two years ago, on the 10th anniversary of the attacks, and until this year had been warmly received.

Recent Headlines

21 hours ago in Local

Second Arrest Made in Rochester Homicide

Dewon Loman

One of two people that remained wanted after a deadly shooting incident late last month outside Rochester has been taken into custody.

21 hours ago in Local

President Obama’s Visit: The Day After

2-10-16 Obama Springfield

They're not done replaying the game films yet, but those involved in orchestrating Wednesday's presidential visit to Springfield say, for now, it was a fun and positive experience that went well.

21 hours ago in Local

Chicago Woman Charged with Supplying Gun to Niece

gun

Federal prosecutors say a Chicago woman has been indicted on charges that she supplied her 14-year-old niece with the handgun the girl allegedly used to kill another teen during an argument over a boy.

1 day ago in Local

Par-a-Dice Cuts Staff, Blames Video Gaming

video gambling

Par-A-Dice Casino in East Peoria has announced announced they are laying off employees amidst a protracted slump in business.

1 day ago in Local

Jury Sides with Illinois Man in Excessive Force Lawsuit

gavel2

Jurors in southern Illinois have found in a federal civil lawsuit that an Olney man was the victim of excessive force when law enforcement officers stopped him near Benton in April 2012.