News

‘Conjuring’ brings unwanted attention to RI couple

‘Conjuring’ brings unwanted attention to RI couple

The couple that lives in the house made famous in the movie "The Conjuring" say they're being troubled by thrill-seekers. Photo: Associated Press

BURRILLVILLE, R.I. (AP) — The Rhode Island couple that lives in the house made famous in the movie “The Conjuring” say they’re being troubled by people curious about the 1730s-era home.

The Woonsocket Call reports that Norma Sutcliffe and her husband haven’t slept well in days because of people showing up in their yard in the middle of the night.

The couple has lived in the Burrillville home for 25 years. The hit horror film wasn’t filmed there, but it is based on a supposed haunting that occurred when another family lived there in the 1970s.

Sutcliffe says strangers call to ask about the house and she’s seen online comments from individuals who suggest it would be fun to break in.

She says she doesn’t believe in haunted houses or ghosts.

Recent Headlines

6 hours ago in Local

Second Arrest Made in Rochester Homicide

Dewon Loman

One of two people that remained wanted after a deadly shooting incident late last month outside Rochester has been taken into custody.

6 hours ago in Local

President Obama’s Visit: The Day After

2-10-16 Obama Springfield

They're not done replaying the game films yet, but those involved in orchestrating Wednesday's presidential visit to Springfield say, for now, it was a fun and positive experience that went well.

6 hours ago in Local

Chicago Woman Charged with Supplying Gun to Niece

gun

Federal prosecutors say a Chicago woman has been indicted on charges that she supplied her 14-year-old niece with the handgun the girl allegedly used to kill another teen during an argument over a boy.

10 hours ago in Local

Par-a-Dice Cuts Staff, Blames Video Gaming

video gambling

Par-A-Dice Casino in East Peoria has announced announced they are laying off employees amidst a protracted slump in business.

10 hours ago in Local

Jury Sides with Illinois Man in Excessive Force Lawsuit

gavel2

Jurors in southern Illinois have found in a federal civil lawsuit that an Olney man was the victim of excessive force when law enforcement officers stopped him near Benton in April 2012.