Landmarks Illinois is out with its annual list of the ten most endangered historic sites in the state, and this time a Cass County building made the list.
Susan Carlson of Virginia Square One, says her group is trying to raise money to restore the Robertson Building in Virginia, Ill.
“We’re working to turn that into a community center, bring it back to life so it’s no longer a safety or eyesore hazard in our community,” said Carlson.
The Robertson Building appeared on this year’s list of Most Endangered Historic sites. It includes sites that have been close to the wrecking ball for months, and this year it also includes a special slot for the Federal Historic Tax Credit program.
The Robertson Building was built in 1897 on Virginia’s courthouse square.
The other buildings on the site include:
- U.S. Marine Hospital, Galena (Jo Daviess County)
- Camp Algonquin, unincorporated McHenry County
- McAuley Schoolhouse, West Chicago (DuPage County)
- Hamilton School, Otterville (Jersey County)
- Uptown Theater, Chicago (Cook County)
- Halsted and Willow Gateway, Chicago (Cook County)
- Central Manufacturing District, Chicago (Cook County)
- Hotel Belleville, Belleville (Saint Clair County)
- Historic Millstadt Water Tower, Millstadt (Saint Clair County)