News

Rutherford Responds to Lawsuit; Provides Documentation

Rutherford Responds to Lawsuit; Provides Documentation

Photo: clipart.com

Illinois Treasurer Dan Rutherford says a former employee’s allegations of sexual harassment and political coercion are false.

The Republican gubernatorial candidate called a Monday news conference to refute claims outlined in a federal lawsuit filed the same day. Rutherford says state documents back him up.

He says no one in the treasurer’s office has been forced to do campaign work on state time.

Rutherford says the treasurer’s office had not previously been informed of allegations of harassment and there were no witnesses to the claims.

Rutherford questions the timing of the allegations, which come weeks before the March 18 primary election.

Rutherford says the allegations also are politically motivated. He believes that one of his GOP opponents, businessman Bruce Rauner (ROW’-nur), is behind the former employee’s allegations. Rauner denies wrongdoing.

Rutherford’s office, in advance of Monday’s news conference, sent reporters several official state documents that appear to contradict claims in the lawsuit.

April 2 travel voucher

E-mail regarding April 2 travel voucher

Text message regarding “tank top” comments

Recent Headlines

in Local

House on UIS Campus Added to National Register

Strawbridge Shepherd House

A Sangamon County home first built in 1845 and described as one of the oldest in the area is now on the National Register of Historic Places.

in Local

Man Found Dead in 23rd Street Home

7-6-15 Shooting

A family member found him inside with a gunshot wound to the head, no gun was found on the scene.

in Local

Hundreds Rally for Expanded Access to Medical Marijuana

marijuana_rally

Medical marijuana advocates are calling on Gov. Bruce Rauner expand access to the program.

in Local

Bill Supporting “Interstate Crowdfunding” Signed

state_capitol_1

It's not your father's investment, and it's not Kickstarter.

in Local

Man Pleads Not Guilty in Fatal DUI

sangamon_county_building_3

A Springfield man allegedly driving drunk when he crashed his car into a tree downtown, killing two passengers, has pleaded not guilty.