News

New 183rd Facility Officially Opened

New 183rd Facility Officially Opened

Photo: Newsradio WTAX

Just a few short years after it appeared the 183rd Fighter Wing would be completely closed down, the ribbon was cut on a state-of-the-art communications facility Friday that will provide high-tech cyber-communications for the US Air Force.

Mayor Mike Houston says the base’s national security mission also means a measure of economic security to the city.

“The 183rd is an economic engine for our community and for the central Illinois region in terms of the number of full-time employees and members of the National Guard” says Houston

Houston was joined by Sen. Dick Durbin and US Representatives Aaron Schock and Rodney Davis.  Lt. Governor Sheila Simon and State Representative Rick Brauer also took place in the ribbon-cutting.The Air Force recently completed 24-million dollars in upgrades and contruction at the base.

Recent Headlines

8 hours ago in Local

Second Arrest Made in Rochester Homicide

Dewon Loman

One of two people that remained wanted after a deadly shooting incident late last month outside Rochester has been taken into custody.

8 hours ago in Local

President Obama’s Visit: The Day After

2-10-16 Obama Springfield

They're not done replaying the game films yet, but those involved in orchestrating Wednesday's presidential visit to Springfield say, for now, it was a fun and positive experience that went well.

9 hours ago in Local

Chicago Woman Charged with Supplying Gun to Niece

gun

Federal prosecutors say a Chicago woman has been indicted on charges that she supplied her 14-year-old niece with the handgun the girl allegedly used to kill another teen during an argument over a boy.

12 hours ago in Local

Par-a-Dice Cuts Staff, Blames Video Gaming

video gambling

Par-A-Dice Casino in East Peoria has announced announced they are laying off employees amidst a protracted slump in business.

12 hours ago in Local

Jury Sides with Illinois Man in Excessive Force Lawsuit

gavel2

Jurors in southern Illinois have found in a federal civil lawsuit that an Olney man was the victim of excessive force when law enforcement officers stopped him near Benton in April 2012.