News

Homeless Man Is Dead; 3 Teens Are Charged

Three Bloomington teenagers are accused of killing a homeless man who died last week after a June beating.

Charges have not yet been filed against the three in the July 3 death of Ronald D. Smith, 56. But State’s Attorney Jason Chambers said Tuesday that he expected to file charges within a couple of days.

Two of the accused are 18 and the third is 19. All three are in jail.

Police say Smith was found injured following a beating in a local park on June 2.

Authorities say Smith died at a hospital of what an autopsy found was bacterial peritonitis resulting from an abdominal wound from the beating.

Smith’s family said he was homeless and had been unemployed for two decades.

Recent Headlines

in Local

Two Thirds of Illinois Fourth Graders Fall Short

Fresh
mortarboard

Advance Illinois promotes its report

in Election 2014, Local

Durbin Expects to Work with Rauner

durbin

Blagojevich an exception, Durbin says

in Local

Attorney General Says Pension Case Could Go Either Way

lisa madigan

Madigan seeks speedy review by Illinois Supreme Court

in Local

Making the Case for Illinois’ Military Presence

shelia-simon

Lt gov, state chamber release report