News

Decatur House Explodes; Gas Leak to Blame

Decatur House Explodes; Gas Leak to Blame

The house near Monroe and Hay in Decatur exploded Friday./Photo courtesy WAND-TV

A house near Decatur Memorial Hospital has exploded, destroying it and damaging houses around it.

The explosion happened early Friday afternoon near the corner of Hay and Monroe Streets, just south of DMH. Decatur Deputy Fire Chief Jeff Abbott told our news partners at WAND-TV that there were no injuries.

“The house that exploded was vacant, the house to the north… people were living there but they weren’t home,” Abbott said. “There was a lady home in the house to the south who was, it’s my understanding, she was blown across the living room when the house exploded, but she’s uninjured.”

Abbott says a leaking gas line is to blame. Ameren capped service and the house will be leveled; it’s a total loss.

Recent Headlines

7 hours ago in Local

Capitol Honors Fallen Police Officers

5-5-16 Officers Memorial 2

Secretary of State Jesse White says police officers should still be revered as heroes.

8 hours ago in Local

Holocaust Remembered at Old State Capitol

local_news_generic

The state's annual Yom Hashoah service brought Gov. Bruce Rauner to the Old State Capitol Thursday morning.

11 hours ago in Local

Langfelder Enlists Manar to Help Extend Downtown TIF

Flag_of_Springfield,_Illinois_svg

Mayor Jim Langfelder says he's working with state lawmakers to get legislation passed to extend by 12 years the city's downtown Tax Increment Financing District, which is otherwise set to expire soon.

11 hours ago in Local

DuQuoin State Fair Starts Vendor Payment Program

Illinois Department of Agriculture

Officials with the Du Quoin State Fair have created a new program to pay vendors who weren't compensated for their 2015 expenses.

11 hours ago in Local

Lawmakers Question Auditor General About Spending

Frank Mautino

A group of Republican lawmakers is demanding that Illinois Auditor General Frank Mautino explain spending by his campaign committee while he was a state representative.