News

Decatur House Explodes; Gas Leak to Blame

Decatur House Explodes; Gas Leak to Blame

The house near Monroe and Hay in Decatur exploded Friday./Photo courtesy WAND-TV

A house near Decatur Memorial Hospital has exploded, destroying it and damaging houses around it.

The explosion happened early Friday afternoon near the corner of Hay and Monroe Streets, just south of DMH. Decatur Deputy Fire Chief Jeff Abbott told our news partners at WAND-TV that there were no injuries.

“The house that exploded was vacant, the house to the north… people were living there but they weren’t home,” Abbott said. “There was a lady home in the house to the south who was, it’s my understanding, she was blown across the living room when the house exploded, but she’s uninjured.”

Abbott says a leaking gas line is to blame. Ameren capped service and the house will be leveled; it’s a total loss.

Recent Headlines

in Local

Eastbound Monroe St. Reduced by Capitol

Fresh
road construction

Public Works says multiple service valves have broken and they need to be repaired.

in Local

Portions of Chatham Under Boil Order

Fresh
water

Residents and businesses in the area on West Walnut St. from Route 4 to College might experience low water pressure or no water pressure at all.

in Local

State Representative Raymond Poe Undergoing Stem Cell Transplant

Fresh
poe

State Representative Rich Brauer says he will step in

in Local

Tax Man Cometh

scales justice

Sizable tax bill on its way

in Local

Big Gift from Big Yellow

ebola

Caterpillar Foundation gives $1M to fight Ebola