News

Work at World Cup stadium halted after worker dies

Work at World Cup stadium halted after worker dies

WORLD CUP:Seven workers have died building Brazil's World Cup stadiums. Photo: Associated Press

SAO PAULO (Reuters) – Brazilian authorities halted work at the temporary stands of the stadium that will host the opening match of this year’s World Cup following the death of a worker, the company in charge of the construction said on Monday.

The regional labor authority of Sao Paulo demanded that Fast Engenharia stop building to make a technical analysis of the project, the company said in a statement. Fast Engenharia said that after the analysis it will announce a new time frame for finishing the temporary stands.

Fabio Hamilton da Cruz died on Saturday after falling 25 feet while installing floors on the stands, becoming the third construction worker to perish while working on the Arena Corinthians on the outskirts of Sao Paulo. Seven workers have died building Brazil’s World Cup stadiums.

The stadium was supposed to be finished in December but the delivery date was pushed back after two workers were killed in November when a crane toppled over.

Work has been slow since then and there is concern that safety may be taking a back seat to haste as workers rush to finish the stadium in time.

(Reporting by Tatiana Ramil; Writing by Alonso Soto; Editing by Eric Walsh)

Recent Headlines

in Local

Meth Lab Found in Church

Fresh
policetape

Small fire starts as cops dismantle lab

in Election 2014, Local

Stating Their Case, but Not Face to Face

illinois farm bureau

Bloomington is the farthest south the two pairs could get until Election Day

in Local

Illinois Supremes Back “Home”

illinois supreme court

Illinois Supreme Court Building rehab completed

in Local

Veteran Walks for Others

eric peters

He doesn't carry physical scars from the Iraq and Afghanistan wars, but the wounds are still there

in Local

Judge Threatens Jeff Parsons With Criminal Contempt

Jeff Parsons appears defiant as he walks out of federal court in Springfield July 10, 2014

A federal judge has threatened to hold former THR and Associates boss Jeff Parsons in criminal contempt of court if he doesn't provide the documents needed to proceed with his case.