News

White House to release fiscal ’15 budget in March

White House to release fiscal ’15 budget in March

BUDGET: U.S. Vice President Joe Biden listens as President Barack Obama speaks during an event for the Council on Women and Girls at the White House in Washington Jan. 22. Photo: Reuters/Kevin Lamarque

WASHINGTON (Reuters) – The White House will release President Barack Obama’s budget for fiscal year 2015 on March 4, a spokesman for the Office of Management and Budget said on Thursday.

“Now that Congress has finished its work on this year’s appropriations, the administration is able to finalize next year’s budget,” spokesman Steve Posner said in a statement.

“We are moving to complete the budget as quickly as possible to help Congress return to regular order in the annual budget process.”

The U.S. Senate approved a $1.1 trillion spending bill last week that ends the threat of another broad shutdown of government agencies this fiscal year.

It funds government programs through the Sept. 30 fiscal year-end.

Obama delivers his State of the Union address on Tuesday. Many of the programs and policy priorities he highlights in that speech are likely to show up in the administration’s budget blueprint.

(Reporting by Jeff Mason; Editing by Sandra Maler)

Recent Headlines

in Local

House on UIS Campus Added to National Register

Strawbridge Shepherd House

A Sangamon County home first built in 1845 and described as one of the oldest in the area is now on the National Register of Historic Places.

in Local

Man Found Dead in 23rd Street Home

7-6-15 Shooting

A family member found him inside with a gunshot wound to the head, no gun was found on the scene.

in Local

Hundreds Rally for Expanded Access to Medical Marijuana

marijuana_rally

Medical marijuana advocates are calling on Gov. Bruce Rauner expand access to the program.

in Local

Bill Supporting “Interstate Crowdfunding” Signed

state_capitol_1

It's not your father's investment, and it's not Kickstarter.

in Local

Man Pleads Not Guilty in Fatal DUI

sangamon_county_building_3

A Springfield man allegedly driving drunk when he crashed his car into a tree downtown, killing two passengers, has pleaded not guilty.