News

Washington Monument reopens after nearly three years

Washington Monument reopens after nearly three years

WASHINGTON MONUMENT:Congress appropriated $7.5 million to repair the earthquake damage. The amount was matched by billionaire David Rubenstein, a Washington philanthropist. Photo: Reuters

WASHINGTON (Reuters) – The Washington Monument, long a landmark on the U.S. capital’s skyline, will reopen on Monday after being closed for repairs for almost three years after it was damaged in an earthquake.

The 555-foot-high marble and granite obelisk sustained cracks, loosened stones and lost mortar during a 5.8-magnitude earthquake in August 2011. The worst damage was at the top of the four-sided structure.

A reopening ceremony will be hosted by NBC “Today” show weatherman Al Roker. It will include remarks by Secretary of the Interior Sally Jewell and other officials, the National Park Service said in a statement.

Music will be provided by “American Idol” winner Candice Glover, the Army’s Old Guard Fife and Drum Corps, the Navy Band and a children’s choir.

Congress appropriated $7.5 million to repair the earthquake damage. The amount was matched by billionaire David Rubenstein, a Washington philanthropist.

The monument will be open for public touring after the ceremony, the statement said.

The monument to the first U.S. president, George Washington, was completed in 1884. It receives about 600,000 visitors a year.

(Reporting by Ian Simpson; Editing by Jon Herskovitz and Peter Cooney)

Recent Headlines

in Local

Man Found Dead in 23rd Street Home

Updated
7-6-15 Shooting

A family member found him inside with a gunshot wound to the head, no gun was found on the scene.

in Local

Hundreds Rally for Expanded Access to Medical Marijuana

marijuana_rally

Medical marijuana advocates are calling on Gov. Bruce Rauner expand access to the program.

in Local

Bill Supporting “Interstate Crowdfunding” Signed

state_capitol_1

It's not your father's investment, and it's not Kickstarter.

in Local

Man Pleads Not Guilty in Fatal DUI

sangamon_county_building_3

A Springfield man allegedly driving drunk when he crashed his car into a tree downtown, killing two passengers, has pleaded not guilty.

in Local

Springfield-Area Historic Site Visits Mostly Down

old_state_capitol_3

Most of the historic sites in the Springfield area have seen a decline in attendance despite last year's increase in tourism statewide.