News

Victims of ’04 crash sue GM

Victims of ’04 crash sue GM

LAWSUIT:Members of the press look over the new 2003 Saturn ION quad coup at its debut at the New York International Auto Show in New York on March 27, 2002. Photo: Reuters/Peter Morgan

(Reuters) – Victims of the crash of a Saturn Ion in 2004 have filed a lawsuit against General Motors Co to reopen a settlement and accusing the automaker of fraud.

Candice Anderson, 21, the driver of the Saturn Ion, was negotiating a curve in the road in Texas when the car went off the road and hit a tree.

Anderson suffered multiple injuries while her co-passenger and boyfriend, Mikale Erickson, 25, died.

Erickson’s family and Anderson sued the company in U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Texas on Monday alleging the that the automaker “watched silently” as Anderson was indicted and prosecuted for a felony offense, despite knowing all along that the defective vehicle was at fault.

“GM placed 100 percent of the blame on a 21-year-old innocent girl and ended up paying $75,000 to settle the entire case,” attorney Robert Hilliard of law firm Hilliard Munoz Gonzales, representing Erickson’s family and Anderson, said in a statement.

This year GM has recalled 2.6 million older model cars, including Chevy Cobalts and Saturn Ions, to replace defective switches that can cause engines to shut off while driving, leading to a sudden loss of power steering, power brakes and failure of air bags to deploy in a crash.

Last week the company dismissed 15 employees, including several high-ranking executives, for their roles in matters relating to faulty ignition switches in older GM cars.

General Motors declined to comment.

The law firm is also representing the families of Amy Radermaker, Seyde Chansuthus and Amber Marie Rose, victims in other accidents linked to faulty GM ignition switches.

The case is Anderson v. General Motors, U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Texas, No. 14-538.

(Reporting by Jessica Dye in New York and Ankit Ajmera and Tanvi Mehta in Bangalore; Editing by Eric Walsh)

Recent Headlines

in Local

State Lawmaker: IDOT Not the Only Agency Whose Hiring Process May be Suspect

idot

Federal monitor to check agency on hiring practices

in Local

Rauner Denies Involvement in Springfield Reporter’s Resignation

Illinois Republican gubernatorial candidate businessman Bruce Rauner participates in a Republican gubernatorial candidate debate Tuesday, Feb. 18, 2014, in Springfield, Ill. The four Republican gubernatorial candidates said that they’ll be willing to work with unions if elected but differed on how to approach the relationship during a downstate debate that largely focused on pension reform, taxes and just briefly on personal issues that have dogged some of the candidates.

Bruce Rauner says his fingerprints are not on the Chicago Sun-Times.

in Local

Raymond Cub Scouts Still Improving

medical

Police say the condition of three Cub Scouts is improving after they were injured in a chemical explosion.

in Local

Springfield Unemployment Numbers Show Decline

jobs

Unemployment dropped in all of Illinois' metro areas in September

in Election 2014, Local

Durbin: Sun-Times Reporter’s Departure “Worrisome”

Republican state Sen., Jim Oberweis, right, offers to give Democratic U.S. Sen. Dick Durbin, more paper after Durbin joked about only getting one page of paper for notes before their first of two televised debates prior to the Nov. 4 election Wednesday, Oct. 22, 2014, in Chicago. Oberweis, a dairy entrepreneur from Sugar Grove, has acknowledged it will take a big GOP year to unseat Durbin, the second-ranking Democrat in the U.S. Senate who's represented Illinois on Capitol Hill for more than three decades.

Bruce Rauner’s campaign is being accused of bullying the Chicago Sun-Times, and U.S. Sen. Dick Durbin (D-Ill.) says that should be a troubling sign to voters.