News

U.S. extends ‘net neutrality’ comment period to Sept. 15

U.S. extends ‘net neutrality’ comment period to Sept. 15

NET NEUTRALITY: The FCC has received more than 1 million comments already on new rules for how Internet services providers should be allowed to manage web traffic on their networks. Photo: clipart.com

WASHINGTON (Reuters) – U.S. Federal Communications Commission on Friday said it would accept public comments on its proposed new “net neutrality” rules through Sept. 15, giving Americans extra time to weigh in on how they think Internet traffic should be regulated.

The FCC has received more than 1 million comments already on new rules for how Internet services providers should be allowed to manage web traffic on their networks.

The FCC had set a deadline of July 15 for the initial comments and then September 10 for replies to those initial comments. However, the surge in submissions overwhelmed the FCC’s website and the agency had delayed the first deadline by three business days.

“To ensure that members of the public have as much time as was initially anticipated to reply to initial comments in these proceedings, the Bureau today is extending the reply comment deadline by three business days,” the FCC said on Friday, delaying the final deadline for comments to September 15.

(Reporting by Alina Selyukh; Editing by Chizu Nomiyama)

Recent Headlines

21 hours ago in Local

Second Arrest Made in Rochester Homicide

Dewon Loman

One of two people that remained wanted after a deadly shooting incident late last month outside Rochester has been taken into custody.

21 hours ago in Local

President Obama’s Visit: The Day After

2-10-16 Obama Springfield

They're not done replaying the game films yet, but those involved in orchestrating Wednesday's presidential visit to Springfield say, for now, it was a fun and positive experience that went well.

21 hours ago in Local

Chicago Woman Charged with Supplying Gun to Niece

gun

Federal prosecutors say a Chicago woman has been indicted on charges that she supplied her 14-year-old niece with the handgun the girl allegedly used to kill another teen during an argument over a boy.

1 day ago in Local

Par-a-Dice Cuts Staff, Blames Video Gaming

video gambling

Par-A-Dice Casino in East Peoria has announced announced they are laying off employees amidst a protracted slump in business.

1 day ago in Local

Jury Sides with Illinois Man in Excessive Force Lawsuit

gavel2

Jurors in southern Illinois have found in a federal civil lawsuit that an Olney man was the victim of excessive force when law enforcement officers stopped him near Benton in April 2012.