News

Tiger ends 4-year alliance with coach Foley

Tiger ends 4-year alliance with coach Foley

TIGER WOODS: The former world No. 1 is sidelined with a back injury and does not plan to play again until his World Challenge tournament in Florida in December. Photo: Associated Press

By Simon Evans

MIAMI (Reuters) – Tiger Woods has split up with swing coach Sean Foley after a four-year partnership, the 14-times golf major winner said on Monday.

The former world number one is sidelined with a back injury and does not plan to play again until his World Challenge tournament in Florida in December.

“I’d like to thank Sean for his help as my coach and for his friendship,” Woods told his official website (www.tigerwoods.com).

“Sean is one of the outstanding coaches in golf today and I know he will continue to be successful with the players working with him.

“With my next tournament not until my World Challenge event at Isleworth in Orlando, this is the right time to end our professional relationship,” added the 38-year-old.

Woods previously worked with Hank Haney and Butch Harmon before joining forces with Foley in August 2010.

The coach controversially redesigned Woods’s swing but the American great has failed to win a major in their time together.

Foley coaches a number of top players including world number five Justin Rose and American Hunter Mahan, who won The Barclays tournament in New Jersey on Sunday.

“My time spent with Tiger is one of the highlights of my career so far and I am appreciative of the many experiences we shared together,” Foley said.

“It was a lifelong ambition of mine to teach the best player of all time in our sport. I am both grateful for the things we had the opportunity to learn from one another as well as the enduring friendship we have built.

“I have nothing but respect and admiration for him.”

Woods has not appointed a replacement and gave no clue about when he might make a choice.

“Presently I do not have a coach and there is no timetable for hiring one,” said the world number 12.

(Editing by Tony Jimenez)

Recent Headlines

in Local

Springfield Opens New Park

Fresh
3-26-15 Playground

Children wasted no time Thursday morning running to play in the new "Bounties of Nature" playground at Center Park in Springfield, once it officially opened.

in Local

Former U.S. Rep. Jackson Leaves Prison

Fresh
FILE - In this March 9, 2012 file photo, Rep. Jesse Jackson Jr. , D-Ill., and his wife, Chicago Alderman Sandi Jackson, ask each other for their support and votes as they arrive at a polling station for early voting in Chicago. The sweep of Jesse Jackson Jr.'s life, from golden boy who could be president to broken politician, will be laid out for a federal judge in Washington, D.C., Wednesday, Aug. 14, 2013, as she sentences him and his wife for misusing $750,000 in campaign money on a gold-plated Rolex watch, mink capes, mounted elk heads and other personal items.

Jackson will serve the remainder of his sentence at a Washington, D.C., halfway house.

in Local

Legislature Passes Budget Fix, Governor Says He’ll Sign

Fresh
money pile

The Illinois Legislature has approved a plan ending weeks of negotiations over plugging a $1.6 billion hole in this year's state budget.

in Local

Schock Leaves Congress with “Humility, Sadness”

schock

Congressman Aaron Schock says he is leaving Congress with sadness and humility.

in Local

Macoupin County Man Arrested on Child Porn Charges

Updated
jail

Madigan's office says the arrest of Timothy Saxton, 37, is the 75th since her office started what's called "Operation Glass House".