News

Target missed early alert of data breach

Target missed early alert of data breach

TARGETED: Some 40 million credit and debit card records were stolen from the retailer, along with 70 million other records with customer information such as addresses and telephone numbers. Photo: Associated Press

WASHINGTON (Reuters) – A Target Corp team of security experts, armed with a malware detection tool made by FireEye Inc, alerted company officials about a possible data breach on Nov. 30, but they failed to respond to the warning signs, according to a media report on Thursday.

The security specialists in Bangalore, India, monitoring computer logs found FireEye’s alerts from Nov. 30 and notified Target officials in Minneapolis, “Bloomberg Businessweek” reported. They also found more alerts from Dec. 2, when more malware surfaced.

Such warnings, if heeded, could have cut short the massive data breach that affected millions of customers who shopped at the nation’s No. 3 retailer between Nov. 27 and Dec. 18 – the height of the U.S. holiday shopping season.

Some 40 million credit and debit card records were stolen from the retailer, along with 70 million other records with customer information such as addresses and telephone numbers.

Congress is investigating the breach along with lapses that surfaced at other retailers, and credit card companies are pushing for better security.

Shares of Target took a hit after news of the security lapse surfaces in mid-December but recovered after the company offered assurances last month. Its shares were largely unchanged in pre-market trading on the New York Stock Exchange on Thursday.

Shares of FireEye were up 2 percent on Nasdaq.

Bloomberg, citing a source who has consulted on the Target’s investigation, said hackers deployed a custom-made code on November 30 that triggered a FireEye alert for the malware, including details on the servers where stolen data was to be delivered.

The security system’s automatic function to delete such malware was turned off by Target’s security team, the report said, citing two people who audited FireEye’s role after the breach.

Target Chief Executive Gregg Steinhafel, in a statement to Bloomberg, said the retailer was still reviewing its “people, processes and technology” in the wake of the breach.

“As the investigation is not complete, we don’t believe it’s constructive to engage in speculation without the benefit of the final analysis,” Steinhafel wrote, according to the report.

He said the company had “already taken significant steps.” Target earlier this month said it was overhauling its information security practices.

Representatives for Target and FireEye could not immediately be reached to comment on the report.

(Reporting by Susan Heavey in Washington and Jim Finkle in Boston; Editing by Stephen Powell)

Recent Headlines

in Local

State Lawmaker: IDOT Not the Only Agency Whose Hiring Process May be Suspect

idot

Federal monitor to check agency on hiring practices

in Local

Rauner Denies Involvement in Springfield Reporter’s Resignation

Illinois Republican gubernatorial candidate businessman Bruce Rauner participates in a Republican gubernatorial candidate debate Tuesday, Feb. 18, 2014, in Springfield, Ill. The four Republican gubernatorial candidates said that they’ll be willing to work with unions if elected but differed on how to approach the relationship during a downstate debate that largely focused on pension reform, taxes and just briefly on personal issues that have dogged some of the candidates.

Bruce Rauner says his fingerprints are not on the Chicago Sun-Times.

in Local

Raymond Cub Scouts Still Improving

medical

Police say the condition of three Cub Scouts is improving after they were injured in a chemical explosion.

in Local

Springfield Unemployment Numbers Show Decline

jobs

Unemployment dropped in all of Illinois' metro areas in September

in Election 2014, Local

Durbin: Sun-Times Reporter’s Departure “Worrisome”

Republican state Sen., Jim Oberweis, right, offers to give Democratic U.S. Sen. Dick Durbin, more paper after Durbin joked about only getting one page of paper for notes before their first of two televised debates prior to the Nov. 4 election Wednesday, Oct. 22, 2014, in Chicago. Oberweis, a dairy entrepreneur from Sugar Grove, has acknowledged it will take a big GOP year to unseat Durbin, the second-ranking Democrat in the U.S. Senate who's represented Illinois on Capitol Hill for more than three decades.

Bruce Rauner’s campaign is being accused of bullying the Chicago Sun-Times, and U.S. Sen. Dick Durbin (D-Ill.) says that should be a troubling sign to voters.