News

Sterling says NBA ban, forced Clippers sale is illegal

Sterling says NBA ban, forced Clippers sale is illegal

CLIPPERS CONTROVERSY:Donald Sterling, seen here with estranged wife Shelly Sterling, was banned from the league last month. Photo: Associated Press

(Reuters) – Donald Sterling, banned from owning a pro basketball team for inflammatory remarks he made about African Americans, called the National Basketball Association’s action illegal because it was based on a “lover’s quarrel” that was “illegally recorded.”

“This was an argument between a jealous man and the woman he loved that should never have left the privacy of the living room,” Sterling said in a letter to the NBA obtained by the Los Angeles Times.

Reuters was unable to confirm the authenticity of the letter.

PHOTOS: Banned from sports

Sterling, controlling owner of the Los Angeles Clippers for 33 years, came under fire after TMZ.com posted an audio recording of him criticizing a female friend for publicly associating with black people, including NBA great “Magic” Johnson.

The NBA said in a statement on Tuesday night that it had received a response from Donald and Shelly Sterling regarding his termination, and added that the league’s Board of Governors will hold a vote on eliminating Sterling’s stake at a hearing set for June 3, when he can address the charges before his fellow owners.

If at least 23 of the other 29 owners vote to terminate Sterling’s ownership of the franchise, the Clippers would have to be sold, the NBA said.

NBA Commissioner Adam Silver said last week he would prefer to let Donald Sterling and his wife Shelley Sterling sell the team “on a reasonable timetable” rather than proceed with trying to forcibly terminate their ownership.

Sterling handed controlling interest in his team to his wife, the co-owner, and she began negotiating with the league to sell the club, Reuters reported on Friday, citing sources.

Sterling said in the letter that he has received offers “in excess of $2.5 billion” for the team, but did not name potential buyers.

(Reporting By Ronald Grover; Editing by Simon Cameron-Moore)

Recent Headlines

in Local

Springfield City Council Continues Food Truck Debate

Fresh
3-10-15 Springfield City Council

The Springfield City Council will continue discussions on whether or not to place more regulations on food trucks, and will do so with Ward Six Alderman Cory Jobe's amendment reducing how far away a truck must be from a brick-and-mortar restaurant down to 500 feet.

in Local

Springfield Unemployment Continues Decline

Fresh
jobs

The Illinois Department of Employment Security says unemployment continues to decline in Springfield and Sangamon County.

in Local

Durall Named Acting Circuit Clerk

sangamon_county_building_3

A temporary replacement has been named for retiring Sangamon County Circuit Clerk Tony Libri.

in Local

Jobe Changes Proposed Food Truck Ordinance

jobeuber

Ward 6 Alderman Cory Jobe is tweaking his ordinance to restrict where food trucks can operate in Springfield in relation to existing brick and mortar restaurants.

in Local

Duckworth Stops in Springfield for Senate Candidacy

Tammy Duckworth

More than nineteen months out, we know the name of one Democrat who wants to be elected to the U.S. Senate, to the seat now held by Republican Mark Kirk.