News

Shia LaBeouf has September court date

Shia LaBeouf has September court date

COURT:Actor Shia LaBeouf departs after a court appearance at Manhattan Criminal Court in New York July 24. Photo: Reuters/Lucas Jackson

By Patricia Reaney

NEW YORK (Reuters) – A judge on Thursday adjourned until September the disorderly conduct and harassment case against actor Shia LaBeouf, who was charged with disturbing a Broadway theater performance in June.

Dressed in a dark suit and tie, the bearded actor who starred in the “Transformer” movies and with Harrison Ford in “Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull,” was silent during a brief hearing in Manhattan Criminal Court.

His attorney, G. Robert Gage, Jr. and Assistant New York County District Attorney Ali Russell said they were discussing a possible resolution to the case and asked for more time. The case was adjourned by Judge Ann Scherzer until Sept. 10.

Gage did not respond to a request for comment.

LaBeouf, 28, was charged with two counts of disorderly conduct, one count of trespass, one count of criminal trespass and harassment in the second degree during his arraignment on June 27 following a performance of “Cabaret.”

All of the charges are misdemeanors or violations so he would face minimal or no jail time if found guilty.

The actor did not comment as he was escorted out of the courthouse to a waiting barrage of camera crews and photographs outside the court in lower Manhattan.

A week after his New York arrest, LaBeouf’s publicist said he was receiving outpatient care for addiction and that he had realized his strange behavior was a symptom of a bigger health problem.

The court appearance on Thursday followed a series of recent incidents in which the actor behaved strangely. In February he walked out of a press conference and attended a red carpet premiere at the 64th Berlin International Film Festival wearing a brown paper bag on his head that read “I Am Not Famous Anymore.”

The California-born actor also wore a brown paper bag when he met visitors at an unusual art installation he had organized in Los Angeles.

LaBeouf also apologized to a graphic artist whose work he was accused of plagiarizing in his short film “Howard Cantour.com.”

The actor has completed filming on his next film, the World War II drama “Fury” with actor Brad Pitt.

(Reporting by Patricia Reaney; Editing by Barbara Goldberg and Jeffrey Benkoe)

Recent Headlines

in Local

Butler Sworn in Tuesday, Ready for Challenges

Fresh
state_capitol_1

Tim Butler moves from behind the scenes in politics to the front line Tuesday.

in Local

Bills Would Change Up Illinois Primary

Fresh
state_capitol_3

The Illinois electoral system would see changes under proposals in the state legislature,

in Local

Coroner: Buffalo Man Died of Natural Causes

Fresh
medical

A man found dead in rural Buffalo late last week appears to have died of natural causes.

in Local

Green-thinking Bill Is Unveiled

local_news_generic

Focus on renewable energy

in Local

New Chiefs Introduce Themselves

state_capitol_4

Some of the governor’s picks to run state agencies got grilled about their plans to implement cuts proposed in the…