News

Ravens’ Rice indicted on assault charges after fight with fiancée

Ravens’ Rice indicted on assault charges after fight with fiancée

INDICTED: A three-time Pro Bowl player, Rice signed a five-year, $35 million contract with the Ravens in 2012 and helped Baltimore to a Super Bowl victory over the San Francisco 49ers at the end of that season. Photo: Reuters

(Reuters) – The National Football League’s Ray Rice, a Pro Bowl running back, was indicted on Thursday on a charge of aggravated assault after his arrest last month for fighting with his fiancée in an Atlantic City casino, the county prosecutor’s office said.

Police arrested Rice, who plays for the Baltimore Ravens and is known for his anti-bullying advocacy, and his fiancée, Janay Palmer, shortly before 3 a.m. on Feb. 15 at the Revel Casino and Hotel, charging them both with simple assault.

Surveillance tape showed them hitting each other in the casino elevator, police said.

The charge against Palmer, 26, has been dropped, the Atlantic County, New Jersey, prosecutor said.

A grand jury in state superior court indicted Rice, 27, with the more serious charge of aggravated assault on Thursday, court documents show, which carries a sentence of three to five years in prison.

Rice, who lives in the Baltimore, Maryland, suburb of Reistertown, his lawyer and Palmer could not immediately be reached for comment.

The Ravens released a statement on its website supporting Rice.

“This is part of the due process for Ray,” the statement said. “We know there is more to Ray Rice than this one incident.”

A three-time Pro Bowl player, Rice signed a five-year, $35 million contract with the Ravens in 2012 and helped Baltimore to a Super Bowl victory over the San Francisco 49ers at the end of that season.

(Reporting by Jonathan Allen; Editing by Richard Chang)

Recent Headlines

in Local

Springfield Unemployment Numbers Show Decline

Fresh
jobs

Unemployment dropped in all of Illinois' metro areas in September

in Election 2014, Local

Durbin: Sun-Times Reporter’s Departure “Worrisome”

Updated
Republican state Sen., Jim Oberweis, right, offers to give Democratic U.S. Sen. Dick Durbin, more paper after Durbin joked about only getting one page of paper for notes before their first of two televised debates prior to the Nov. 4 election Wednesday, Oct. 22, 2014, in Chicago. Oberweis, a dairy entrepreneur from Sugar Grove, has acknowledged it will take a big GOP year to unseat Durbin, the second-ranking Democrat in the U.S. Senate who's represented Illinois on Capitol Hill for more than three decades.

Bruce Rauner’s campaign is being accused of bullying the Chicago Sun-Times, and U.S. Sen. Dick Durbin (D-Ill.) says that should be a troubling sign to voters.

in Local

Sears Announcement Doesn’t Include Springfield Stores

unemployed

Sears says it is closing more than 100 stores and laying-off more than 5,400 employees across the nation.

in Election 2014, Local

Analyst: Debate for US Senate Doesn’t Reveal Much

vote

One more debate scheduled for next week

in Election 2014, Local

Oberweis Comes Out for Same-Sex Marriage

durbin oberweis

GOP challenger to Durbin insists this is not a change