News

Prosecutors seek ‘tattoo tales’ of ex-Patriot Hernandez

Prosecutors seek ‘tattoo tales’ of ex-Patriot Hernandez

AARON'S INK:New England Patriots tight end Aaron Hernandez is arraigned on charges of murder and weapons violations in Attleborough, Massachusetts, after being arrested, in this June 26 photo. Photo: Reuters/Mike George

BOSTON (Reuters) – Prosecutors on Wednesday said they are seeking to interview the tattoo artist or artists who decorated the right forearm of former NFL star Aaron Hernandez around the time he is accused of killing two men after leaving a Boston nightclub.

Hernandez, who has been charged with the murder of three men in two separate incidents, in 2012 and 2013, has appeared in court heavily tattooed on both arms since his June 2013 arrest.

His right arm features an intricate series of images, with stars, the words “God’s” and “hands” and a dagger wrapped in a banner reading “no fear.”

“The artists being sought are considered witnesses only and are not accused of any wrongdoing,” prosecutors in Massachusetts’ Suffolk County said on Wednesday, noting that they believe Hernandez got the tattoo in question sometime between February 2012 and June 2013.

They declined to describe the tattoos in more detail, saying only that “the artists may have made observations of evidentiary value.”

Hernandez was charged with the murder of semiprofessional football player Odin Lloyd in June 2013, and authorities followed up earlier this month by also charging him with the fatal shooting in July 2012 of two men, Cape Verdean nationals Daniel Abreu and Safiro Furtado.

Hernandez, who had a $41 million contract with the New England Patriots until the team cut him hours after his arrest, has pleaded not guilty to charges surrounding Lloyd’s death. He is due in court next week to face arraignment in the 2012 shooting.

(Reporting by Scott Malone; editing by Gunna Dickson)

Recent Headlines

in Local

Springfield City Council Continues Food Truck Debate

3-10-15 Springfield City Council

The Springfield City Council will continue discussions on whether or not to place more regulations on food trucks, and will do so with Ward Six Alderman Cory Jobe's amendment reducing how far away a truck must be from a brick-and-mortar restaurant down to 500 feet.

in Local

Springfield Unemployment Continues Decline

jobs

The Illinois Department of Employment Security says unemployment continues to decline in Springfield and Sangamon County.

in Local

Durall Named Acting Circuit Clerk

sangamon_county_building_3

A temporary replacement has been named for retiring Sangamon County Circuit Clerk Tony Libri.

in Local

Jobe Changes Proposed Food Truck Ordinance

jobeuber

Ward 6 Alderman Cory Jobe is tweaking his ordinance to restrict where food trucks can operate in Springfield in relation to existing brick and mortar restaurants.

in Local

Duckworth Stops in Springfield for Senate Candidacy

Tammy Duckworth

More than nineteen months out, we know the name of one Democrat who wants to be elected to the U.S. Senate, to the seat now held by Republican Mark Kirk.