News

Paul McCartney to close Candlestick Park

Paul McCartney to close Candlestick Park

PAUL MCCARTNEY:After months of negotiations, the rocker has revealed he will hit the stage at Candlestick Park in San Francisco on Aug. 14. Photo: Associated Press

Sir Paul McCartney has confirmed he’ll return to the site of the Beatles’ final paid-for gig to perform the stadium’s last ever concert.

After months of negotiations, the rocker has revealed he will hit the stage at Candlestick Park in San Francisco on Aug. 14 as part of a farewell to the sports mecca that hosted the Fab Four in 1966.

A statement posted on McCartney’s website on Thursday reads: “Putting the rumor mill to rest, Paul has confirmed that he will indeed return to San Francisco Aug. 14 to play Farewell to Candlestick: The Final Concert.”

San Francisco Mayor Ed Lee personally invited McCartney to close out the 54-year-old Candlestick Park last year.

Following his gig there, the former home of both baseball’s Giants and football’s 49ers will be demolished.

Recent Headlines

in Local

Durbin: New Budget Acceptable, Needs Tweaking

Fresh
dickdurbin2

Says some provisions need to be changed

in Election 2014, Local

Republicans: No Need for Special Election

Fresh
durkin1

Durkin: Attorney general has right idea about Rauner appointing comptroller

in Local

Law Would Protect Savings of the Disabled

Fresh
local_news_generic

Protect eligibility for Medicaid, SSI

in Local

Local Congressman Not Thrilled with Cuba Thaw

Fresh
schock

Cuba still oppresses its people, Schock says

in Local

Fire Displaces Seven

local_news_generic

No injuries reported