News

Ohio man sentenced after video confession in fatal crash

Ohio man sentenced after video confession in fatal crash

CORDLE SENTENCED: Matthew Cordle is sentenced to more than six years in prison for a fatal crash. Photo: YouTube

COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) — An Ohio man whose online video confession went viral was sentenced on Wednesday to more than six years in prison.

Matthew Cordle was sentenced to 6 1/2 years for a June crash that killed 61-year-old Vincent Canzani.

Cordle had been drinking the night of the wreck and was more than two times the legal limit when he drove the wrong way on Interstate 670 in Columbus, striking Canzani’s car and killing him.

He recorded a confession video through the help of the Because I Said I Would website that has been viewed millions of times.

Canzani’s daughter, Angela Canzani, spoke during Cordle’s sentencing and said his online confession video shouldn’t allow him to receive a lighter sentence.

The Franklin County Prosecutor has asked Judge David Fais for the maximum eight years, saying Cordle drove despite a history of blackouts after heavy drinking.

Cordle’s attorneys asked for a sentence below the maximum to send a message about the value of taking responsibility for a tragedy.

Cordle pleaded guilty to aggravated vehicular homicide and driving a vehicle under the influence of alcohol. He publicly apologized to the Canzani family during a statement made in court on Wednesday.

Recent Headlines

in Local

State Lawmaker: IDOT Not the Only Agency Whose Hiring Process May be Suspect

idot

Federal monitor to check agency on hiring practices

in Local

Rauner Denies Involvement in Springfield Reporter’s Resignation

Illinois Republican gubernatorial candidate businessman Bruce Rauner participates in a Republican gubernatorial candidate debate Tuesday, Feb. 18, 2014, in Springfield, Ill. The four Republican gubernatorial candidates said that they’ll be willing to work with unions if elected but differed on how to approach the relationship during a downstate debate that largely focused on pension reform, taxes and just briefly on personal issues that have dogged some of the candidates.

Bruce Rauner says his fingerprints are not on the Chicago Sun-Times.

in Local

Raymond Cub Scouts Still Improving

medical

Police say the condition of three Cub Scouts is improving after they were injured in a chemical explosion.

in Local

Springfield Unemployment Numbers Show Decline

jobs

Unemployment dropped in all of Illinois' metro areas in September

in Election 2014, Local

Durbin: Sun-Times Reporter’s Departure “Worrisome”

Republican state Sen., Jim Oberweis, right, offers to give Democratic U.S. Sen. Dick Durbin, more paper after Durbin joked about only getting one page of paper for notes before their first of two televised debates prior to the Nov. 4 election Wednesday, Oct. 22, 2014, in Chicago. Oberweis, a dairy entrepreneur from Sugar Grove, has acknowledged it will take a big GOP year to unseat Durbin, the second-ranking Democrat in the U.S. Senate who's represented Illinois on Capitol Hill for more than three decades.

Bruce Rauner’s campaign is being accused of bullying the Chicago Sun-Times, and U.S. Sen. Dick Durbin (D-Ill.) says that should be a troubling sign to voters.