News

Nigeria offers $300K reward for missing girls, U.S. offers aid

Nigeria offers $300K reward for missing girls, U.S. offers aid

KIDNAPPED:Protesters hold signs during a march in support of the girls kidnapped by members of Boko Haram in front of the Nigerian Embassy in Washington May 6. Photo: Reuters/Gary Cameron

ABUJA (Reuters) – Nigerian police offered a 50 million naira ($300,000) reward on Wednesday to anyone who can give credible information leading to the rescue of more than 200 schoolgirls abducted by Islamist rebels.

Last month’s mass kidnapping by militant group Boko Haram in the remote northeastern village of Chibok triggered an international outcry and protests in Nigeria, piling pressure on the government to get the girls back.

President Barack Obama says the immediate priority is finding nearly 300 teenage girls who were kidnapped from their school in Nigeria three weeks ago.

But Obama says the Islamic extremist group Boko Haram must also be dealt with.

The brazen April 15 abduction has sparked international outrage.

And Obama says in an interview with NBC’s “Today” that he’s glad the Nigerian government is accepting help from U.S. military and law enforcement advisers.

The White House says U.S. armed forces are not being sent.

(Reporting by Camillus Eboh; Writing by Tim Cocks; Editing by Andrew Heavens)

Recent Headlines

in Local

Ban on “Conversion Therapy” Passes Legislature

Fresh
gay_marriage

The Illinois Senate has approved a ban on therapy designed to "convert'' gay young people to heterosexuals.

in Local

Union Legislation Would Prohibit Strike or Rauner Lockout

Fresh
afscme

The House has approved a measure that changes government-employee contract negotiations just a month before the deadline for a new contract.

in Local

Mark Hart Named Interim Springfield Fire Chief

Fresh
springfield fire dept

Springfield has an interim fire chief.

in Local

Hastert Resigns from Wheaton College Board

FILE - In this Aug. 17, 2007, file photo, Rep. J. Dennis Hastert, front, R-Ill., announces that he will not seek reelection for a 12th term as he stands on the steps of the old Kendall County courthouse with, from left, his son Josh; wife Jean; and daughter-in-law Heidi, grandson Jack, in Yorkville, Ill. A newly unveiled indictment against Hastert released Thursday, May 28, 2015, accuses the Republican of agreeing to pay $3.5 million in hush money to keep a person from the town where he was a longtime schoolteacher silent about "prior misconduct."

The resignation was the latest fallout from a federal indictment accusing Hastert of violating banking laws.

in Local

Rauner: No Special Session if No Agreement Reached by Sunday

rauner

Gov. Bruce Rauner says he will not call lawmakers back into session if there's no agreement on a budget by Sunday.