News

Netflix wins U.S., international rights for ‘Breaking Bad’ spinoff

Netflix wins U.S., international rights for ‘Breaking Bad’ spinoff

NETFLIX WINS RIGHTS: Netflix won the streaming rights to the spinoff, "Better Call Saul" through a deal with Sony Pictures Television. Photo: Reuters

(Reuters) – Video service Netflix Inc has secured the rights to make new episodes of a spinoff of the “Breaking Bad” television series, available within days to customers in Latin America and Europe,starting in 2014, the company said on Monday.

In the United States and Canada, the entire first season of the new series, “Better Call Saul,” will be available exclusively on Netflix after the season finale runs on U.S. cable network AMC Networks Inc.

Netflix won the streaming rights to the spinoff, “Better Call Saul” through a deal with Sony Pictures Television, the studio that produces the show. Financial terms were not disclosed.

The spinoff of “Breaking Bad,” the Emmy-winning drama, will tell the story of lawyer Saul Goodman, played by Bob Odenkirk, in the years before he became the attorney for chemistry teacher-turned-drug dealer Walter White.

Recent Headlines

in Local

Reid Suggests Schumer, Not Durbin, Should Succeed Him

Fresh
dickdurbin2

U.S. Sen. Dick Durbin is praising Senate Democratic Leader Harry Reid as "one of the ablest leaders of the Senate Democratic caucus in modern history.''

in Local

Kirk, Durbin Back Changes to Disaster Declaration Process

Fresh
capitol

The measure has been introduced twice previously without success.

in Local

Mayoral Candidates Debate on WTAX — And Ask Each Other Questions

3-26-15 Mayoral Debate

Minimum wage, right to work zones, and other questions were posed.

in Local

Springfield Opens New Park

3-26-15 Playground

Children wasted no time Thursday morning running to play in the new "Bounties of Nature" playground at Center Park in Springfield, once it officially opened.

in Local

Legislature Passes Budget Fix, Governor Says He’ll Sign

money pile

The Illinois Legislature has approved a plan ending weeks of negotiations over plugging a $1.6 billion hole in this year's state budget.