News

Netflix hit ‘House of Cards’ gets third season

Netflix hit ‘House of Cards’ gets third season

BACK FOR ANOTHER SEASON: Actor Kevin Spacey, from the drama series "House of Cards," arrives at the 20th annual Screen Actors Guild Awards in Los Angeles, California Jan. 18. Photo: Reuters/Mario Anzuoni

NEW YORK (Reuters) – “House of Cards,” the Emmy Award-winning, online-only political drama starring Kevin Spacey and Robin Wright, will get a third season on Netflix,, the series’ producer said on Tuesday.

Netflix has ordered the latest season of the gripping series on Washington machinations from Media Rights Capital, the independent studio behind the series, according to a representative for the producer.

The second season, with two-time Oscar winner Spacey playing ruthless South Carolina Representative Francis Underwood and Wright, who won a Golden Globe for her portrayal of his equally ambitious wife, will premiere on Netflix on February 14.

All 13 episodes will be at available at once on the subscription video streaming service.

“House of Cards” made television history last year when it won three Emmys, including one for Oscar-nominated David Fincher (“Fight Club” and “Social Network”) for outstanding director for a drama series.

Netflix became the first online-only company to win the awards. Spacey and Wright were also nominated for their performances.

Netflix’s move into original content and the popularity of series such as “House of Cards” and prison comedy-drama “Orange is the New Black” have shaken up television and are changing how consumers watch entertainment. The political drama has also had a positive impact on subscriber growth, according to Netflix.

“House of Cards” is based on a book and a BBC miniseries of the same name.

(Reporting by Patricia Reaney; Editing by Piya Sinha-Roy)

Recent Headlines

in Local

Springfield City Council Continues Food Truck Debate

3-10-15 Springfield City Council

The Springfield City Council will continue discussions on whether or not to place more regulations on food trucks, and will do so with Ward Six Alderman Cory Jobe's amendment reducing how far away a truck must be from a brick-and-mortar restaurant down to 500 feet.

in Local

Springfield Unemployment Continues Decline

jobs

The Illinois Department of Employment Security says unemployment continues to decline in Springfield and Sangamon County.

in Local

Durall Named Acting Circuit Clerk

sangamon_county_building_3

A temporary replacement has been named for retiring Sangamon County Circuit Clerk Tony Libri.

in Local

Jobe Changes Proposed Food Truck Ordinance

jobeuber

Ward 6 Alderman Cory Jobe is tweaking his ordinance to restrict where food trucks can operate in Springfield in relation to existing brick and mortar restaurants.

in Local

Duckworth Stops in Springfield for Senate Candidacy

Tammy Duckworth

More than nineteen months out, we know the name of one Democrat who wants to be elected to the U.S. Senate, to the seat now held by Republican Mark Kirk.