News

NBA formally charges Clippers owner, sets June hearing

NBA formally charges Clippers owner, sets June hearing

RACIST RANT:The league said Sterling has until May 27 to respond to its charge and may present his side at a special hearing before the NBA Board of Governors set for June 3, after which the league's 29 other owners who make up the board could vote to remove him. Photo: Associated Press

NEW YORK (Reuters) – The National Basketball Association (NBA) stepped up its drive to oust Donald Sterling as owner of the Los Angeles Clippers, formally charging on Monday that his racist remarks damaged the league and paving the way for fellow team owners to decide his fate next month.

The league said Sterling has until May 27 to respond to its charge and may present his side at a special hearing before the NBA Board of Governors set for June 3, after which the league’s 29 other owners who make up the board could vote to remove him.

Sterling, 80, who has owned the Clippers for 33 years, came under fire more than three weeks ago when TMZ.com posted an audio recording of him berating a female friend for publicly associating with black people, including former NBA great Earvin “Magic” Johnson.

The recording sparked an uproar from fans, NBA players and commercial sponsors. The furor led NBA Commissioner Adam Silver to ban Sterling for life from the NBA and to call on the other owners to force Sterling to relinquish team ownership.

Such an unprecedented move requires a three-fourths vote of the board.

PHOTOS: Banned from sports

Sterling has refused to pay a $2.5 million fine levied against him by the league and threatened through his attorney to take legal action against any forced sale of the Clippers.

Breaking his own silence about the controversy last week, Sterling apologized in a CNN interview for his “terrible mistake”, while insisting he was “baited” into making provocative remarks and accusing the media of inflaming his predicament.

But he stoked further outrage during the interview by saying Magic Johnson was a poor role model for children and suggesting that Johnson and other blacks do little to support their own communities, a comment the NBA cited in its notice on Monday.

In a summary of its charge against Sterling, the league said his conduct undermined the NBA’s efforts to promote diversity and inclusion; damaged its relationship with fans; harmed other NBA owners, players and Clippers personnel; and impaired the league’s relationship with marketing and merchandising partners, as well as with government and community leaders.

The NBA also said its inquiry into the scandal revealed that “evidence was destroyed” and that “false and misleading evidence” was provided to league investigators.

Those acts, the NBA said, provide grounds for Sterling’s termination under the NBA constitution and bylaws.

Sterling’s wife, Shelly, who co-owns the team through a family trust, has said she would fight any attempt to force her to give up her interest in the club. Her lawyers released a statement on Monday saying they saw no reason why she should be forced to sell.

“She is the innocent estranged spouse,” the statement said. “We also continue to hope that we can resolve this dispute with the NBA for the good of all constituencies.”

The Clippers were eliminated from the second round of the NBA playoffs last Thursday by the Oklahoma City Thunder.

(Reporting by Larry Fine in New York; Additional reporting and writing by Steve Gorman in Los Angeles; Editing by Gene Cherry and Matt Driskill)

Recent Headlines

in Local

Rauner Denies Involvement in Springfield Reporter’s Resignation

Fresh
Illinois Republican gubernatorial candidate businessman Bruce Rauner participates in a Republican gubernatorial candidate debate Tuesday, Feb. 18, 2014, in Springfield, Ill. The four Republican gubernatorial candidates said that they’ll be willing to work with unions if elected but differed on how to approach the relationship during a downstate debate that largely focused on pension reform, taxes and just briefly on personal issues that have dogged some of the candidates.

Bruce Rauner says his fingerprints are not on the Chicago Sun-Times.

in Local

Raymond Cub Scouts Still Improving

Fresh
medical

Police say the condition of three Cub Scouts is improving after they were injured in a chemical explosion.

in Local

Springfield Unemployment Numbers Show Decline

jobs

Unemployment dropped in all of Illinois' metro areas in September

in Election 2014, Local

Durbin: Sun-Times Reporter’s Departure “Worrisome”

Republican state Sen., Jim Oberweis, right, offers to give Democratic U.S. Sen. Dick Durbin, more paper after Durbin joked about only getting one page of paper for notes before their first of two televised debates prior to the Nov. 4 election Wednesday, Oct. 22, 2014, in Chicago. Oberweis, a dairy entrepreneur from Sugar Grove, has acknowledged it will take a big GOP year to unseat Durbin, the second-ranking Democrat in the U.S. Senate who's represented Illinois on Capitol Hill for more than three decades.

Bruce Rauner’s campaign is being accused of bullying the Chicago Sun-Times, and U.S. Sen. Dick Durbin (D-Ill.) says that should be a troubling sign to voters.

in Local

Sears Announcement Doesn’t Include Springfield Stores

unemployed

Sears says it is closing more than 100 stores and laying-off more than 5,400 employees across the nation.