News

Nadal out of U.S. Open with wrist injury

Nadal out of U.S. Open with wrist injury

RAFAEL NADAL: The 28-year-old Spaniard sustained the injury in practice last month and has been training with a cast on his right wrist, forcing him to miss the Rogers Cup in Toronto and last week's Cincinnati Open. Photo: Reuters

(Reuters) – Rafael Nadal has pulled out of his U.S. Open title defense this month because of a wrist problem, the world number two said on Monday.

The 28-year-old Spaniard sustained the injury in practice last month and has been training with a cast on his right wrist, forcing him to miss the Rogers Cup in Toronto and last week’s Cincinnati Open.

“I am very sorry to announce I won’t be able to play at this year’s U.S. Open,” Nadal said on his Twitter feed and on Facebook.

“I am sure you understand that it is a very tough moment for me since it is a tournament I love and where I have great memories from fans, the night matches, so many things.

“Not much more I can do right now other than accept the situation and, as always in my case, work hard in order to be able to compete at the highest level once I am back.”

The 14-times grand slam winner also triumphed at Flushing Meadows in 2010.

Despite missing the entire North American hardcourt campaign, Nadal had hoped to compete in New York, previously posting a picture of himself working on court with his uncle and coach Toni with a black wrist support clearly visible.

The left-hander won his ninth French Open title in June but has not played since losing in the fourth round to Australian Nick Kyrgios at Wimbledon on July 2.

It is another worrying setback for Nadal who has had to battle back from injuries several times in his brilliant career.

After being sidelined for seven months with a knee injury, he returned last season to win 10 titles including grand slams in Paris and New York.

Injury also caused Nadal to miss out on a Wimbledon title defense in 2009 and the defense of his Olympic crown in 2012.

The winner of 64 career singles titles, he has claimed four trophies this year and has set no time frame for a return to competition.

The U.S. Open starts on Aug. 25.

(Reporting by Josh Reich, editing by Pritha Sarkar)

Recent Headlines

in Local

St. Clair County Sheriff Passes on U.S. House Bid

Fresh
rick watson

Sheriff Rick Watson has declined a run for the house in the 12th Congressional District.

in Local

Judge Approves Place for Mel Reynolds to Stay While on Bond

Fresh
FILE - In this Nov. 28, 2012 file photo, former Illinois Congressman Mel Reynolds announces that he's running for the 2nd District seat vacated by Jesse Jackson Jr., in Chicago. Reynolds has been indicted on federal tax evasion charges, the U.S. Attorney's Office in Chicago said in a statement Friday June 26, 2015. The indictment says the 63-year-old Chicago Democrat failed to file income tax returns for four consecutive years, between 2009 and 2012. Each count of failing to file carries a maximum one-year prison sentence. Reynolds resigned his Illinois congressional seat in 1995 after being convicted of statutory rape for having sex with an underage campaign worker. (AP Photo/M. Spencer Green, File)

Former U.S. Congressman claims race is a factor in the case.

in Local

Work on Illinois State Fair Venues Ramps Up

Fresh
state fair logo

Governor says fair will go on in spite of budget impasse, but some vendors may be paid late.

in Local

Lincoln’s Relationship with Jewish People Theme of New ALPLM Exhibit

7-31-15 Lincoln Exhibit

A new exhibit at the Abraham Lincoln Presidential Library and Museum focuses on what was termed, at the time, another minority group.

in Local

William Kelly is Back — Bashing Sen. Mark Kirk

mark_kirk

Going beyond criticizing Kirk’s comments and policies, William Kelly talked about Kirk’s physical condition since he suffered a stroke in 2012.