Kennedy counsin convicted of murder gets new trial

Kennedy counsin convicted of murder gets new trial

NEW TRIAL: Michael Skakel has been granted a new trial, his attorney says. Photo: Reuters

By Ellen Wulfhorst

(Reuters) – A Connecticut judge on Wednesday ordered a new trial for Kennedy cousin Michael Skakel, who was convicted more than a decade ago of murdering a teenage neighbor, his defense attorney’s office said.

Skakel’s attorneys had argued before state Superior Court Judge Thomas Bishop that his previous defense attorney, Mickey Sherman, did not competently defend him.

The judge granted Skakel a new trial, according to the office of his current defense attorney, Hubert Santos. Representatives of the court could not be reached for comment.

Skakel, 53, is the nephew of Ethel Skakel Kennedy, widow of slain U.S. Senator Robert Kennedy.

He is serving 20 years to life in prison for the bludgeoning death in 1975 of Martha Moxley, his neighbor in Greenwich, Connecticut. He was convicted in 2002.

Both Skakel and Moxley were 15 when she was beaten to death with a golf club. Her body was found on the lawn of her parents’ home in the affluent New York City suburb.

Skakel, who has maintained his innocence, was arrested in 2000. He was unsuccessful in his bid to be tried as a juvenile.

Appearing on CNN, Dorthy Moxley, the victim’s mother, said she remained convinced that Skakel was guilty.

“I have not given up, and I do believe Michael Skakel killed my daughter,” she said. “I don’t believe there’s any doubt in that. He convicted himself practically, and there has been absolutely no new evidence that means anything since the trial.”

In 2006, the U.S. Supreme Court declined to hear an appeal by Skakel seeking to overturn his conviction on grounds that his constitutional rights had been violated because Connecticut’s five-year statute of limitations, in place at the time Moxley was killed, had expired when he was charged.

In 2009, lawyers for Skakel unsuccessfully sought a new trial to overturn the conviction, saying new evidence implicated other men.

He lost a bid for parole a year ago.

Recent Headlines

in Local

Springfield Micro-Lending Fund Gives $120K in 1st 2 months

City of Springfield

The city of Springfield’s new micro-lending program has given out a total of $120,000 in loans to small business owners…

in Local

U of I Business Incubator has NSF Grants for Female and Minority Entrepreneurs

u of i research park

The people trying to turn ideas into commerce at the University of Illinois have a $100,000 grant from the National Science Foundation in a program called AWARE.

in Local

SAA Hopes to Restore Lincoln-Era Piano with Crowdfunding Help

lincoln piano

A crowdfunding campaign hopes to raise the final $7,500 needed to bring a possibly 180-year piano back to playable condition.

in Local

Foul Play Not Suspected in Death of Southern Illinois Woman

jeannie schuur

Authorities in southern Illinois say foul play is not suspected in the death of a 22-year-old Murphysboro woman whose body…

in Local

Prosecutors: Man Eyed Targets After Brother Shot

corey morgan

Investigators say a Chicago man suspected in the fatal shooting of a 9-year-old boy went looking for targets after his brother was killed during a months-long gang feud.