News

Incognito says Martin sent him threatening text

Incognito says Martin sent him threatening text

SUSPENDED DOLPHIN: Richie Incognito has been suspended by Miami. Photo: Associated Press

STEVEN WINE, AP Sports Writer

MIAMI (AP) — Suspended Miami Dolphins guard Richie Incognito says teammate Jonathan Martin sent him a threatening text message only a week before their relationship mushroomed into a harassment case that has prompted an NFL investigation.

In an interview with Fox Sports televised Sunday, Incognito said he didn’t take the threat seriously.

Incognito said he regrets racist and profane language he used with Martin, but said it stemmed from a culture of “brotherhood” in the locker room, not from bullying.

Martin left the team two weeks ago and alleges he was harassed by teammates, including Incognito. Martin is in counseling for emotional issues, and he’ll discuss the case late next week with a special investigator hired by the league.

Recent Headlines

6 hours ago in Local

Second Arrest Made in Rochester Homicide

Dewon Loman

One of two people that remained wanted after a deadly shooting incident late last month outside Rochester has been taken into custody.

7 hours ago in Local

President Obama’s Visit: The Day After

2-10-16 Obama Springfield

They're not done replaying the game films yet, but those involved in orchestrating Wednesday's presidential visit to Springfield say, for now, it was a fun and positive experience that went well.

7 hours ago in Local

Chicago Woman Charged with Supplying Gun to Niece

gun

Federal prosecutors say a Chicago woman has been indicted on charges that she supplied her 14-year-old niece with the handgun the girl allegedly used to kill another teen during an argument over a boy.

10 hours ago in Local

Par-a-Dice Cuts Staff, Blames Video Gaming

video gambling

Par-A-Dice Casino in East Peoria has announced announced they are laying off employees amidst a protracted slump in business.

10 hours ago in Local

Jury Sides with Illinois Man in Excessive Force Lawsuit

gavel2

Jurors in southern Illinois have found in a federal civil lawsuit that an Olney man was the victim of excessive force when law enforcement officers stopped him near Benton in April 2012.