News

Harrison Ford has surgery after ‘Star Wars’ set injury

Harrison Ford has surgery after ‘Star Wars’ set injury

HARRISON FORD: The 71-year-old star injured himself on the set of the latest "Star Wars" installment. Photo: Associated Press

Movie veteran Harrison Ford has undergone surgery to treat a broken leg following an accident on the set of the new “Star Wars” film.

The 71-year-old actor was believed to have fractured his ankle during filming at Pinewood Studios in England last week, when his foot was crushed by the door of the Millennium Falcon, the spacecraft which his character Hans Solo pilots.

However, his publicist has since revealed the injury is worse than previously reported, but he is recovering well after surgery.

A statement released by his representative Ina Treciokas reads: “His surgery was successful and he will begin rehab shortly. “He’s doing well and looks forward to returning to work.”

Reports suggest Ford’s broken leg will keep him out of action for up to eight weeks. The actor’s son has said it could force Ford to be shot from the waist up for the remainder of the film.

Shooting on “Star Wars: Episode VII” has continued in his absence and the film is still expected to hit movie theaters in December, 2015.

The actor is reprising his role as Han Solo. It is the first of at least three new films that will continue Lucas’ saga after Disney purchased his production company, Lucasfilm, in 2012 for $4.05 billion.

The film will also have original “Star Wars” actors Carrie Fisher and Mark Hamill reprise their roles along with Ford. The film will star Oscar-winner Lupita Nyong’o, Andy Serkis, Adam Driver and Oscar Isaac.

Recent Headlines

22 mins ago in Local

UIS Breaks Ground on Student Union

Fresh
5-4-16 UIS Groundbreaking

Ground has been broken on what is being referred to as the "Living Room" for the students of the University of Illinois Springfield.

52 mins ago in Local

Aeropostale to Close Springfield, Forsyth Stores

Fresh
aeropostale

Aeropostale files for Chapter 11.

1 hour ago in Local

Social Service Groups Sue Governor for $100M Past Due

Fresh
Illinois Republican gubernatorial candidate businessman Bruce Rauner participates in a Republican gubernatorial candidate debate Tuesday, Feb. 18, 2014, in Springfield, Ill. The four Republican gubernatorial candidates said that they’ll be willing to work with unions if elected but differed on how to approach the relationship during a downstate debate that largely focused on pension reform, taxes and just briefly on personal issues that have dogged some of the candidates.

Five dozen social service agencies working without pay for nearly a year because of the Illinois state budget stalemate are suing Gov. Bruce Rauner.

1 hour ago in Local

Trial Set for 2 of 6 Men Accused of Dismembering Woman’s Body

Fresh
Champaign Police Murder Arrests WAND

Two of the six men charged with dismembering a missing Champaign woman will be held for trial after a judge heard testimony from a detective.

2 hours ago in Local

Death Knell for Graduated Income Tax

tax

Sponsors blame Rauner