News

Ex-NFL star Hernandez charged in Boston double-murder

Ex-NFL star Hernandez charged in Boston double-murder

INDICTED:Aaron Hernandez has been indicted in connection with two other slayings. Photo: Reuters

BOSTON (Reuters) – Former National Football League star Aaron Hernandez was indicted on Thursday for the 2012 murder of two men in a Boston drive-by shooting, according to the Boston Globe, which cited two officials briefed on the case.

The former tight end for the New England Patriots is already in jail awaiting trial on charges he and two accomplices shot a man to death last June in an industrial park near his home in South Attleboro, Massachusetts. He was cut from the Patriots shortly after his arrest in that case.

Hernandez has pleaded not guilty to the June 2013 murder charge.

A spokesman for the Suffolk County District Attorney declined comment on the reported new charges, but said a press conference is scheduled for later Thursday morning.

According to the Boston Globe, Hernandez is accused of killing Daniel Abreu and Safiro Furtado, two Cape Verdean nationals, on July 16, 2012, in Boston’s South End.

Hernandez’s attorney was not immediately available to comment.

(Reporting by Richard Valdmanis; Editing by Nick Zieminski)

Recent Headlines

in Local

DeWitt Co. Settlement OK’d in Dispute to Put Toxic Waste Over Aquifer

water

DeWitt county has approved a settlement with a landfill company.

in Local

Kankakee Co. Sheriff Describes Security Lapses that led to Inmate Escape

inmate_exiting_kamron_taylor

Sheriff Tim Bukowski says investigators found no inmate count had been done.

in Local

House Approves Springfield High Speed Rail Oversight Act

high speed rail

An attempt to make sure fair hiring practices are implemented on Springfield's high speed rail 10th street consolidation project is moving forward.

in Local

Rauner Admin. Plans $106 Million in Medicaid Cuts

medicaid

Cuts to Medicaid will make up about one-third of the $300 million in spending reductions by Gov. Bruce Rauner's office

in Local

Butler: Future of $26M in Social Service Funding Unknown

Budget Cuts

State Representative Tim Butler says who knows if that $26 million Governor Bruce Rauner is holding from a number of state social service programs will be restored or not.