News

Ben Affleck banned from Blackjack at Vegas casino

Ben Affleck banned from Blackjack at Vegas casino

TOO GOOD TO PLAY?: Ben Affleck has been "banned" by the Hard Rock Casino. Photo: Associated Press

By Piya Sinha-Roy

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) – Actor Ben Affleck was banned from playing blackjack at a Las Vegas casino because he was “too good,” a source close to the Oscar-winner said on Friday.

Affleck, 41, was stopped earlier this week by security guards at the Hard Rock Casino in Las Vegas while playing blackjack because “you are too good,” the source said. He was told he could play other games at the casino.

Affleck, who won Oscars for co-writing 1997’s “Good Will Hunting” and producing 2012’s “Argo,” recently starred in last year’s crime thriller “Runner Runner,” where he played an online gambling tycoon.

The actor was on a short break in Las Vegas with his wife Jennifer Garner before he left to shoot Zack Snyder’s upcoming “Man of Steel” sequel where he will play Batman opposite Henry Cavill’s Superman.

An earlier story by celebrity news outlet TMZ.com said Affleck had been banned for life from the casino for counting cards, a method of using probability to predict the next hand.

A representative for the Hard Rock Hotel did not immediately respond to a request for comment on Friday.

(Editing by Eric Kelsey, Ronald Grover and Lisa Shumaker)

Recent Headlines

in Local

Christian County Authorities Look for Man Wanted in High-Speed Chase

Donald Ray Van Hoose III

Authorities in Christian County are looking for a man they say led police on a high speed chase before fleeing a car on foot.

in Local

Schock Spending Continues to be Scrutinized

schock

A new financial report from former Congressman Aaron Schock's political action committee shows campaign money has been spent since he left Congress.

in Local

Duckworth Lawsuit Enters Senate Race

tim_schneider

An ethics lawsuit may factor into next year's U.S. Senate race.

in Local

Blagojevich Wants Full Court Appeal

blagojevich

Blagojevich is hoping the full court will overturn more counts.

in Local

Shooting Death Victim’s Brother Charged with Murder

7-6-15 Shooting

The Sangamon County State's Attorney has charged the older brother of a Springfield teenager shot and killed last week with murder.