News

Ben Affleck banned from Blackjack at Vegas casino

Ben Affleck banned from Blackjack at Vegas casino

TOO GOOD TO PLAY?: Ben Affleck has been "banned" by the Hard Rock Casino. Photo: Associated Press

By Piya Sinha-Roy

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) – Actor Ben Affleck was banned from playing blackjack at a Las Vegas casino because he was “too good,” a source close to the Oscar-winner said on Friday.

Affleck, 41, was stopped earlier this week by security guards at the Hard Rock Casino in Las Vegas while playing blackjack because “you are too good,” the source said. He was told he could play other games at the casino.

Affleck, who won Oscars for co-writing 1997’s “Good Will Hunting” and producing 2012’s “Argo,” recently starred in last year’s crime thriller “Runner Runner,” where he played an online gambling tycoon.

The actor was on a short break in Las Vegas with his wife Jennifer Garner before he left to shoot Zack Snyder’s upcoming “Man of Steel” sequel where he will play Batman opposite Henry Cavill’s Superman.

An earlier story by celebrity news outlet TMZ.com said Affleck had been banned for life from the casino for counting cards, a method of using probability to predict the next hand.

A representative for the Hard Rock Hotel did not immediately respond to a request for comment on Friday.

(Editing by Eric Kelsey, Ronald Grover and Lisa Shumaker)

Recent Headlines

in Local

Deal with 186 Teachers in Reach

school board headquarters

Springfield School District teachers have struck a tentative deal on a one-year contract

in Election 2014, Local

Slottag Seeks Ward 8 Seat; Theilen Alleges Political Meddling

municipalcenter

A familiar name is running for Springfield City Council.

in Election 2014, Local

Rauner: Quinn Needs Patronage

Bruce Rauner (R), Pat Quinn

Republican governor candidate Bruce Rauner wants everyone hired under patronage rules at the Illinois Department of Transportation, but given non-patronage, work to be fired.

in Local

Medical Examiner: Bel-Aire Owner Likely Died of Natural Causes

BEL-AIRE

The owner of Springfield's Bel-Aire motel likely died of natural causes.

in Local

Nearly 150 People Treated for Carbon Monoxide Exposure at North Mac Intermediate School

medical

Anywhere from 65 to 100 North Mac Middle School students were sent to Springfield hospitals Monday following a carbon monoxide leak.