News

Amanda Bynes pleads no contest in 2012 drunken driving case

Amanda Bynes pleads no contest in 2012 drunken driving case

DRUNKEN DRIVING CHARGE: Amanda Bynes after a 2013 court hearing. Photo: Associated Press

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) – Former teen star Amanda Bynes on Monday pleaded no contest to a misdemeanor driving offense in Los Angeles stemming from a 2012 accident in which she struck a sheriff’s patrol car.

The lawyer for Bynes, 27, entered the plea to the charge of reckless driving with an alcohol component, Los Angeles County District Attorney spokeswoman Jane Robison said.

Bynes, who starred in her own Nickelodeon sketch comedy TV series “The Amanda Show” at age 13, was sentenced by Los Angeles Superior Court Judge Edward Moreton to three years’ probation and three months of alcohol education programs.

The actress was arrested in the early house of April 6, 2012, in West Hollywood after her BMW car swiped the side of a patrol car. She was charged with DUI after refusing to take a sobriety test.

Since the accident, Bynes has appeared at court hearings in wigs and has been known to send bizarre tweets, including asking U.S. President Barack Obama to fire the officers who arrested her.

Last year she was placed in psychiatric care for starting a small fire in front of a home in the Los Angeles suburb of Thousand Oaks. Her mother was put in charge of the financial and legal affairs of the actress.

Bynes, who did not appear in court on Monday, is currently on probation for driving on a suspended license.

(Reporting by Eric Kelsey; Editing by Mary Milliken and Mohammad Zargham)

Recent Headlines

in Local

Member of Jesse White Tumblers Shot

Murdered Chicago teen a member of Jesse White Tumblers.

in Local

Durbin Weighs In on Senate Proposal to Revoke NFL Non-Profit Status

dickdurbin1

Dick Durbin says he's still deciding on the U.S. Senate proposal that would revoke the NFL's non-profit designation.

in Local

Rauner Tells GOP Not to Expect Favors if He is Elected

Illinois Republican gubernatorial candidate businessman Bruce Rauner participates in a Republican gubernatorial candidate debate Tuesday, Feb. 18, 2014, in Springfield, Ill. The four Republican gubernatorial candidates said that they’ll be willing to work with unions if elected but differed on how to approach the relationship during a downstate debate that largely focused on pension reform, taxes and just briefly on personal issues that have dogged some of the candidates.

Republican candidate for Illinois governor Bruce Rauner says he won't offer any patronage jobs to GOP members if he wins.

in Local

Illinois Awards $25.8M in Health Outreach Grants

Health

Most of the same Illinois organizations that helped consumers sign up for insurance in the first year of the Affordable Care Act will receive additional funding for a second year.

in Local

Quinn: No Point in Plan B for Pension Overhaul

pension

Amid signals that Illinois' pension overhaul could be found unconstitutional, Gov. Pat Quinn argued Friday that it makes no sense to develop a contingency plan.