News

2 killed in shooting at Virginia naval base

2 killed in shooting at Virginia naval base

FATAL SHOOTING: A sailor and a civilian were fatally shot at a Virginia Navy base. Photo: Associated Press

By Eric M. Johnson

(Reuters) – A civilian shot dead a sailor aboard a ship at a U.S. Navy base in Norfolk, Virginia, late on Monday before being killed by base security forces, naval officials said.

Security services briefly shut down Naval Station Norfolk after the incident involving the two men, which occurred on board the USS Mahan destroyer while it was docked at the base’s Pier 1, Navy spokeswoman Beth Baker said.

The civilian had been carrying a firearm on the base in violation of rules that only allow security personnel to do so, Baker said.

The lockdown lasted approximately 45 minutes, she added. The base, the largest naval station in the world, was secure.

The sailor was an active-duty member and Navy officials were looking into the “access and credentials” of the civilian, who did have authorization to be on the installation, Baker said.

The shooting came months after a gunman opened fire at the Washington Navy Yard, some 200 miles north of Norfolk, killing 12 people and wounding four being slain by police.

At the time of Monday’s shooting, Navy personnel were on board the ship and also on the pier. It was unclear who subdued the suspect and in what circumstances.

Officials have launched an investigation to establish a motive for the killing and information about the men involved, Baker said. More information about the incident was not immediately available.

The Naval Criminal Investigative Service as well as base security personnel were conducting the investigation.

(Reporting by Eric M. Johnson; Editing by Gareth Jones)

Recent Headlines

in Local

St. Clair County Sheriff Passes on U.S. House Bid

rick watson

Sheriff Rick Watson has declined a run for the house in the 12th Congressional District.

in Local

Judge Approves Place for Mel Reynolds to Stay While on Bond

FILE - In this Nov. 28, 2012 file photo, former Illinois Congressman Mel Reynolds announces that he's running for the 2nd District seat vacated by Jesse Jackson Jr., in Chicago. Reynolds has been indicted on federal tax evasion charges, the U.S. Attorney's Office in Chicago said in a statement Friday June 26, 2015. The indictment says the 63-year-old Chicago Democrat failed to file income tax returns for four consecutive years, between 2009 and 2012. Each count of failing to file carries a maximum one-year prison sentence. Reynolds resigned his Illinois congressional seat in 1995 after being convicted of statutory rape for having sex with an underage campaign worker. (AP Photo/M. Spencer Green, File)

Former U.S. Congressman claims race is a factor in the case.

in Local

Work on Illinois State Fair Venues Ramps Up

state fair logo

Governor says fair will go on in spite of budget impasse, but some vendors may be paid late.

in Local

Lincoln’s Relationship with Jewish People Theme of New ALPLM Exhibit

7-31-15 Lincoln Exhibit

A new exhibit at the Abraham Lincoln Presidential Library and Museum focuses on what was termed, at the time, another minority group.

in Local

William Kelly is Back — Bashing Sen. Mark Kirk

mark_kirk

Going beyond criticizing Kirk’s comments and policies, William Kelly talked about Kirk’s physical condition since he suffered a stroke in 2012.