News

2 Americans injured in attack in western Afghanistan

2 Americans injured in attack in western Afghanistan

AFGHANISTAN:President Barack Obama, center, gets a briefing by Marine General Joseph Dunford, commander of the US-led International Security Assistance Force (ISAF), right, and US Ambassador to Afghanistan James Cunningham after arriving at Bagram Air Field for an unannounced visit, on Sunday, May 25, north of Kabul, Afghanistan. Photo: Associated Press/Evan Vucci

HERAT Afghanistan (Reuters) – Two Americans suffered light injuries when a U.S. consulate vehicle came under attack in Afghanistan’s western province of Herat on Wednesday morning, the U.S. embassy said.

The embassy statement gave scant details of the attack but an Afghan official in Herat said a rocket-propelled grenade had been fired at the vehicle.

“Two men attacked a foreign vehicle with a RPG and then ran away,” provincial district chief Haji Bashir Ahmad told Reuters by telephone. The U.S. embassy statement said both of the injured were taken for treatment at a Spanish-run hospital in Herat.

Hours earlier, President Barack Obama announced plans to reduce the number of American troops in Afghanistan from 32,000 to 9,800 by the beginning of next year, and gradually reduce the force to a smaller embassy presence by the end of 2016.

Last Friday, Afghan security forces in Herat killed at least three gunmen and suicide bombers following an attack on the Indian consulate in Afghanistan’s third largest city and main gateway to Iran.

(Reporting by Jalil Ahmad, Hamid Shalizi and Jessica Donati; Editing by Simon Cameron-Moore)

Recent Headlines

in Local

Hastert Resigns from Wheaton College Board

Fresh
FILE - In this Aug. 17, 2007, file photo, Rep. J. Dennis Hastert, front, R-Ill., announces that he will not seek reelection for a 12th term as he stands on the steps of the old Kendall County courthouse with, from left, his son Josh; wife Jean; and daughter-in-law Heidi, grandson Jack, in Yorkville, Ill. A newly unveiled indictment against Hastert released Thursday, May 28, 2015, accuses the Republican of agreeing to pay $3.5 million in hush money to keep a person from the town where he was a longtime schoolteacher silent about "prior misconduct."

The resignation was the latest fallout from a federal indictment accusing Hastert of violating banking laws.

in Local

Rauner: No Special Session if No Agreement Reached by Sunday

rauner

Gov. Bruce Rauner says he will not call lawmakers back into session if there's no agreement on a budget by Sunday.

in Local

Bill Separating ALPLM from IHPA Passes House

alplm

The measure now moves to the Senate.

in Local

Hastert’s Former School District Doesn’t Know of Misconduct

hastert

District officials say they'll cooperate in any investigation if asked by the U.S. Attorney's office.

in Local

Legislative Leaders: Turnaround Not Off the Table, But Agreement Unlikely by Sunday

cullerton2

It looks like the governor's Turnaround Agenda is not off the table, but it also doesn't look like there will be solid agreement on that by the Sunday adjournment deadline.