Local

Mattoon Copper Thief Injured in Explosion He Caused
Mattoon Copper Thief Injured in Explosion He Caused

A would-be copper thief was injured during a house explosion that was likely sparked by his own cigarette.

Monday night’s explosion heavily damaged a vacant Mattoon home.

Our news partners at WAND-TV report the man likely opened a gas line while stripping copper wire from the property. Then he lit a cigarette, which investigators believe prompted the blast.

He was taken to a Springfield hospital where he’s being treated for severe burns.