Firefighters were called to Oasis Senior Center on Pulaski Street. According to our news partners at WAND TV, the two story brick building was spewing black smoke from the roof pulling multiple crews to the scene.
It was around 5:30 p.m. when the Lincoln Fire Department got a call that smoke was coming from the top of the building. Fire officials said that lightning from a sever thunderstorm that went through the city about 30 minutes beforehand could be what sparked the flames at the senior center in the middle of Lincoln’s downtown.
Fire officials said there were people inside the building and other buildings along the street when the flames started. Part of this street had to be evacuated to bring in at least a dozen fire departments to fight the fire.
Three firefighters faced minor injuries but other than that everyone is okay. There is obvious damage to the senior center but there could be smoke and water damage to surrounding buildings.
(photo courtesy wandtv.com)